Botany Downs Secondary College is a co-educational state school for Years 9 to 13 (age 13 to 18 years) with over 1800 students and 150 staff. Opened in 2004, we have a modern learning environment to support 21st century competencies. Our College is founded on the whanau concept, with six "schools within a school" providing for the pastoral care needs of learners.
Features of Our College
- Purpose built for modern expectations of learning and teaching
- Built on the Whanau concept as the foundation of pastoral care for students
- Emphasis on both academic challenge and personal development, with proven success in national qualifications and the development of young leaders
- Support programmes for all students, including gifted and talented students, students with learning conditions, and those in need of literacy and numeracy remediation, including English as an Additional Language (EAL) support
- Information and Communications Technology (ICT) incorporated into the learning process focused on developing collaboration, communication and critical thinking, enabling self-paced, self-directed and anywhere – anytime learning
- Integrated thinking and learning curriculum, developing metacognitive processes, reflection and goal-setting
- Mentoring programmes, providing peer leadership and academic and career guidance
- Authentic and contextual learning opportunities
- Innovative teaching approached with a dedicated, high-calibre staff
Our College Logo
The design started by using the circles of the Beta and Delta characters of the Greek alphabet, and the overlapping circular shapes echo the roles of the educator and the learner.
- Inner circle is the student
- Outer circle represents the nurturing and educating by teachers
- Outer shape links the two circles, envelops the whole school community, and is pointing (upwards) to the future.
575 Chapel Road, opposite Botany Town Centre.
Located in Botany Downs, Howick, an attractive suburb in the East of Auckland, New Zealand's largest city. Only 40 minutes drive from the city centre and 30 minutes from the Auckland International Airport. Within easy walking distance of the school is, Botany Town Centre the second largest shopping mall in the country, there are shops, cinemas, restaurants, libraries, ice skating rink and entertainment complexes. The nearest beaches are within 15 minutes drive.
Contact us if you have any queries...